The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2019 was hosted in Asia for the very first time with Singapore being the first host country and Marina Bay Sands the iconic venue. Connoisseurs from all corners of the globe arrived in Singapore for the prestigious ceremony and also revelled in our region’s exceptional fare.
2019 saw a big change in the overall organization of the list with previous winners – Massimo Bottura, Daniel Humm, Ferran Adria, The Roca Brothers, Thomas Keller, Rene Redzepi and Heston Blumenthal, included in a new Best of The Best list.
Mirazur in Menton, France has been announced as the number one restaurant in the world and Gaggan in Bangkok, Thailand has been announced as the number one restaurant in Asia. Singapore’s very own Odette is at number 18 in the list and the only Singapore restaurant which is a part of The World’s 50 Best Restaurant 2019 list.
Just after receiving the accolade, Chef Mauro Colagreco said; “Wow, wow, wow, wow, what a crazy year, three Michelin stars and number one in the world, all in the same year. It’s a year I will remember forever.” Well, it truly is a remarkable year for team Mirazur!
Second spot on the list went to Noma.2 in Copenhagen, a new entry that excited the crowd, the third spot was awarded to Asador Etxebarri in San Sebastian.
The Best Female Chef title was given to Chef Daniela Soto-Innes from Cosme in New York, the One to Watch award went to Lido84 on Lake Garda in Italy, the Highest Climber on the list was Azurmendi in Spain and the Humanitarian Chef Jose Andres received the inaugural American Express Icon Award.
The Chef’s Choice Award, voted for by all the chefs on the list, went to Alain Passard. The World’s Best Pastry Chef went to Jessica Prealpato from Paris and The Sustainability Award went to Schloss Schauenstein in Switzerland by chef Andreas Caminada. The Art of Hospitality Award 2019 went to Den in Tokyo, Japan with chef Zaiyu Hasegawa.
Here’s the full list of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2019 Winners;
- Mirazur, Menton (France) ‘BEST RESTAURANT IN EUROPE and BEST RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD’
- Noma, Copenhagen (Denmark) ‘HIGHEST NEW ENTRY’
- Asador Extebarri, Atxondo (Spain)
- Gaggan, Bangkok (Thailand) ‘BEST RESTAURANT IN ASIA’
- Geranium, Copenhagen (Denmark)
- Central, Lima (Peru) ‘BEST RESTAURANT IN SOUTH AMERICA’
- Mugaritz, San Sebastian (Spain)
- Arpege, Paris (France)
- Disfrutar, Barcelona (Spain)
- Maido, Lima (Peru)
- Den, Tokyo (Japan) ‘ART OF HOSPITALITY AWARD’
- Pujol, Mexico City (Mexico) ‘BEST RESTAURANT IN NORTH AMERICA’
- White Rabbit, Moscow (Russia)
- Azurmendi, Larrabetzu (Spain) ‘HIGHEST CLIMBER AWARD’
- Septime, Paris (France)
- Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athenee, Paris (France)
- Steirereck, Vienna (Austria)
- Odette, Singapore
- Twins Gardens, Moscow (Russia) – NEW ENTRY
- Tickets, Barcelona (Spain)
- Frantzen, Stockholm (Sweden) – RE-ENTRY
- Narisawa, Tokyo (Japan)
- Cosme, New York (USA)
- Quintonil, Mexico city (Mexico)
- Alleno Paris at Pavillon Ledoyen, Paris (France)
- Borago, Santiago (Chile)
- The Clove Club, London (United Kingdom)
- Blue Hill at Stone Barns, New York (USA)
- Piazza Duomo, Alba (Italy)
- Elkano, Getaria (Spain)
- Le Calandre, Rubano (Italy)
- Nerua, Bilbao (Spain) – NEW ENTRY
- Lyle’s, London (United Kingdom)
- Don Julio, Buenos Aires (Argentina) – NEW ENTRY
- Atelier Crenn, San Francisco (USA) – NEW ENTRY
- Le Bernardin, New York (USA)
- Alinea, Chicago (USA)
- Hisa Franko, Kobarid (Slovenia)
- A Casa do Porco, Sao Paulo (Brazil) – NEW ENTRY
- Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlin (Germany)
- The Chairman, Hong Kong (China)
- Belcanto, Lisbon (Portugal) – NEW ENTRY HIGHEST EUROPEAN
- Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem (Belgium) – RE-ENTRY
- The Test Kitchen, Cape Town (South Africa) – BEST RESTAURANT IN AFRICA
- Suhring, Bangkok (Thailand) – NEW ENTRY
- De Librije, Zwolle (Netherlands) – RE-ENTRY
- Benu, San Francisco (USA) – NEW ENTRY
- Ultraviolet, Shangai (China)
- Leo, Bogota (Colombia) – NEW ENTRY
- Schloss Schauenstein, Furstenau (Switzerland) ‘SUSTAINABLE RESTAURANT AWARD’
It was a delight for the TREAT team to be a part of this remarkable event. Thank you The World’s 50 Best for having us over!
[Download the free TREAT app to discover Singapore’s exceptional restaurants and bars – Click on the links from your iOS or Android devices or just search for TREAT on your AppStore or PlayStore to download TREAT.]